Friday, August 2, 2013

Start my fire

I feel like I've been rubbing two sticks together, getting a lot of smoke, but the spark is not catching. In non-metaphor speak, I have been doing lots of things the past few days that stimulate contractions, but when my efforts stop the contractions stop. You'd think being squeezed so much this baby might try harder to find the exit, but then again my womb is probably a really awesome place.

So I checked in with my midwife this morning and she has no concerns about the starting and stopping of contractions or me starting or stopping my efforts. My next scheduled appointment is next Wednesday at 41 weeks and if the baby is still hiding we'll start to see each other more often for massages, herbs and whatever other treatments she has up her sleeves. One thing she said that really stuck with me is she doesn't know how babies choose their birthdays, it's a mystery. I thought about that when I ran into a friend later this morning and she asked when I'll be induced. If I was working with a doctor I probably would have been pressured to be induced early this morning so that the doctor could be sure to have the weekend off and the pregnancy wouldn't go "too long", and the doctor would get to choose the birthday. So anyway, I trust Suzanne and Suzanne trusts the natural unfolding of the process and I'm trying to practice patience and acceptance as I wait and wait.

Speaking of birthdays, we've been gobbling up those birthday cupcakes and talking so much about birthdays that now Audrey is randomly singing happy birthday, pretty darn cute! Here she is getting dolled up to party.


This entertaining website has a funny list of labor jump start suggestions, most of which I have been trying, ya know when I get tired of the patience thing.

5 comments:

  1. Adorable picture! I hope you don't have to wait until next Wednesday, but I agree that baby will come when ready. (spicy chinese food may have done the trick for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience - so boring!! Well 'someone' suggested Aug. 4 as an auspicious date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for these well-reasoned updates. We are your team at a distance and will be cheering you on through the cosmos - not the drink! Loved your realization that baby is in a supremely happy place at the moment. I made a nectarine blueberry pie today and my belly is large in sympathy.
    love to you all and happy birth day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke up today and I was SURE this was going to be the baby's birthday... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You weren't far off...latest post is on its way!

    ReplyDelete